Installing a custom ROM is a great way to get the most out of your Android phone, but you need to find the right custom ROM for your device. Once you’ve found a custom ROM that’s right for your needs. The next step is to install it on your Android device.
There are different ways to install a custom Rom on an Android phone, like flashing in recovery mode or using an app, but the easiest way is through an app called ‘ROM Manager’.
ROM Manager is a must have app for Android root users who regularly tinker with their device’s ROMs. The app lets you flash your recovery to the latest and greatest ClockworkMod recovery. Besides that, it will help you to manage and install your custom ROMs and backing-up your current ROM.
It has both free and premium versions. The paid premium version includes additional features like automatic backups, web connect and incremental ROM downloads.
How to Install a custom ROM using ROM Manager
- First, download and install the ROM Manager app on your Android phone.
- After installing, launch the app and from the main menu, tap on ‘Flash ClockworkMod Recovery’.
- You’ll be asked to confirm your phone’s model. Select your phone’s model and your phone will reboot and flashing CWM.
- Now, before you go installing any custom ROMs, I suggest you to back up your current ROM. To do that, tap on the ‘Backup Current ROM’.
- Give the backup a name and then click OK.
- You will be asked to allow ROM Manager superuser access, tap on ‘Allow’ to grant this. The backup process can take a little while, so make sure you aren’t expecting any important calls.
- Once done, reopen ROM Manager and tap on ‘Install ROM from SD card’
- Find the folder where you placed the .zip file in. A box should pop up with three options like the image shown below.
- Tick the ‘Wipe Data and Cache’ and ‘Wipe Dalvik’ boxes, and then click OK. The phone will now reboot and start installing your custom ROM. This might take a little while, sometimes up to 15 minutes, so be patient and don’t panic if the device appears to have frozen.
Once the phone has booted up, you will be prompted to enter your Google account details. Congrats, you have successfully installed a new ROM and you now have a brand new ROM to explore!