By default, the camera plays shutter sound whenever you take a snapshot on your Android device. The sound is convenient in most cases, but there are situations you may want to take picture without the shutter sound.
Most of the Android phones have come out with the feature of manually turning off or disabling the camera shutter sound. However, sometimes due to local privacy laws and the carrier contract this feature might not be present in your smartphone.
But you don’t need to worry because there are ways to mute the camera sound. Here I will show you how to disable or turn off the camera shutter sound on rooted and non-rooted Android devices.
How to Disable Camera Shutter Sound on Non-rooted Android Device
There are four methods that you can use to disable or turn off the camera shutter sound on non-rooted Android devices.
- Turning off Camera Shutter Sound from Camera Settings Menu
If you are lucky, you can simply open your stock camera app, in the camera user interface, go to settings and you will find an option to disable the camera shutter sound. Once the shutter sound is turned off, it will not produce the ‘click’ shutter sound while you taking a picture.
- Disabling Camera Shutter Sound in Silent or Vibration Mode
If you can not find the option of turning on/off the camera shutter sound in the camera settings, you can simple put the phone in silent or vibration mode by turning the incoming calls ring volume to zero. This is the easiest way by which you can turn off the shutter sound. But keep in mind that you will not be notified of any incoming calls or message that you receive.
To get the phone sound silent quickly, just pull down the notification panel and toggle between sound, vibrate and mute.
- Take Pictures in Recording mode
Some devices allow you take pictures while recording video. The best part is it does not produce any sound when you take a snapshot in this mode.
- Use Third-party Camera app
You can also use third-party camera app that is available in the Google play store to do the trick. Applications like Silent Camera and Camera MX allow you to take pictures silently without the annoying shutter sounds.
How to Disable Camera Shutter Sound on Rooted Android Device
If you’ve rooted your Android phone or tablet, you can get rid of camera sound in more than one ways. Besides, using the methods discussed above, you can do the following things:
- Install a custom ROMs that has mute camera sound feature.
- Install a mod to disable camera sound. You can find an Xposed module to turn camera sound off.
- Use Root explorer app like ES file explorer to remove the camera click sound.
- Open ES File Explorer
- Navigate to System -> media -> audio -> ui
- Tap on ‘Mount r/w’ at the top of the screen
- Scroll down to Shutter.ogg (the name might differ on some devices) and rename it to Shutter.ogg.bak
- Now rename Shutter_multiple.ogg to Shutter_multiple.ogg.bak
- That’s it!