Almost all Android devices come with a recovery feature that allows you to do many task, such as install custom ROMs, wipe data, delete cache files from partitions, etc.
Recovery mode is very important on Android device to fix booting issue. If you have forgotten your password or unlock pattern on your device, you can also use it to perform a factory reset. This will delete all of your phone’s data and restore it to the default settings.
Booting into recovery mode is simple. All you need to do is just turn off your device and then reboot it by holding down some keys combination during boot sequence and your device will enter into recovery mode.
The key combinations differ depending on the device model. Here are some examples:
- Samsung Galaxy Series: Volume Up + Home + Power
- Galaxy Nexus (Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Nexus 10): Volume Up + Volume Down + Power
- Motorola Droid X2: Volume Down + Power
- Devices With Camera Buttons: Volume Up + Camera
If your device isn’t on the list and none of the above methods work, you can search on Google using the keywords “how to boot <your device model> into recovery mode”.
Alternatively, you can use a third-party app called Quick Boot to access the recovery mode. The app lets you boot your device into recovery with just a few click. This will be extremely helpful if you don’t know the key combination to enter into the recovery mode on your android device. However, it requires root access which means you need to root your device. (Read how to root an Android device.)
How to use Quick Boot (Reboot)
- First download and install free Quick Boot(Reboot) app from Google Play Store.
- Once installed, launch the app and you will see 4 different options; Reboot, Recovery, Bootloader and Power Off.
- Choose the ‘Recovery’ option from the app screen and your device will reboot into Recovery Mode automatically.
How to get out from Recovery mode
To get out from recovery mode, press volume up or down buttons until you have ‘reboot system now’ highlighted, then press the power button and your device will reboot back to normal.