With the introduction of faster mobile data networks such as 3G and 4G technology, video calls has become a popular way to communicate with someone through mobile devices. It lets you see the other person that you are calling.
If you have an Android phone with front facing camera and are on 3G/4G or Wi-Fi network, then you can easily make video calls for free. In order to make a free video call, you need to have a video calling app installed on your phone. The following are some of the best free video calling apps for Android.
- Skype – Free IM & Video calls
Skype is undoubtedly one of the best video calling app available on all major platforms including Android. Most of you may have familiar with Skype which has been around for a long time.
The app supports both the front facing and the rear camera for absolutely no charge. You can make video calls on your Android phone using Skype to Skype. Apart from video calling, you can also make voice calls and phone calls to landlines and other mobile numbers using Skype credits at a very cheap rate.
Other Skype features:
- Send and receive instant messages for free.
- Send photos, videos and files of any size for free.
- Share your special moments with free and unlimited video messaging over Skype.
- LINE – Free Calls & Messages
Line is one of the most popular instant messenger apps, which has over 380 million users worldwide and is available on all major mobile OS platforms, including Android, iOS, Windows Phone and BlackBerry.
The app has now support video calls that allow you to communicate face to face with your friends and family. That video calls will be supported over both Wi-Fi and 3G networks and users can also switch between video and voice anytime during the call.
The interesting feature of the Line is that you can add friends in various ways such as shake it together to add the friend or exchange your ID via QR code.
Other Line features:
- You can update your friends about what you’ve been doing lately using text, photos, movies, stickers and even location info.
- You’ll find hilarious and fun stickers featuring famous characters from all over the world!
- OoVoo – Text, Voice & Video Call
Oovoo is another great app that allows you to video chat with your friends and family using high quality video and audio. The app is available on almost all mobile platforms as well as desktop OS.
Just like the other apps, Oovoo allows you to send text messages, make voice and video calling for free using 3G, 4G or Wifi connection. It also integrates with Facebook and Twitter, so you chat with your friends using the social networks. The best part about the app is that it allows group video chatting with up to 12 people simultaneously.
Other Oovoo features:
- Video and photo messaging.
- Fab 5 – put your five best friends on speed dial!
- OoVies™ – video status messages that you display on your profile or send to friends!
- Full-page profile screen featuring your ooVies, profile pic, and more!
- Colorful, creative filters for in-call video and video recording.
- Yahoo! Messenger for Android
This is the official Yahoo! Messenger for Android. If your workmates, friends or family are using the Yahoo mail service, then this is definitely your best choice for making video call on your Android phone. Like the Skype, Yahoo! Messenger also allows free voice calls, IMs and international phone calls at cheap rates. You can also send photos, videos, and chat with your Facebook friends with this app.
Other Yahoo! Messenger features:
- Free international SMS
- Chat with Windows Live friends
- Tango – Free Messenger & Video Calls
Tango is also one of the best video calling app for Android. It provides high quality video & phone calls for FREE. Unlike other video calling apps, Tango does not require you to sign in, making it easier for you to communicate with your friends and family.
Tango also focused on social networking where you can send personalized messages with fun animations, share photos and even challenge your friends in games during calls. This app is available for Android, iOS and Windows Phone.
Other Tango features:
- Listen & share songs clips powered by Spotify
- Edit your photos & share with friends
- Find all your pictures & videos in a central photo gallery
- Play a mini-game or share photos during a call
These are some of the free Android apps which we think are the best for making video calls. Though you can download them for free, but using them will eat up a lot of your data plan. So, beware of your data limit or use them over Wi-Fi only.